When it comes to storing leftovers, Pyrex is the first option that comes to most people’s minds. But what if you want to freeze the food? Is it safe to put your Pyrex storage containers, mixing bowls, and bakeware in the freezer?
You can store Pyrex in the freezer as long as it’s not too hot when it goes in. A sudden change in temperature can cause the glass to shatter. The same goes for defrosting — don’t put the container into the microwave right away. Let it defrost in the fridge or over a dry towel first.
Even though Pyrex is known for being particularly durable, you should still take certain precautions to avoid cracks and breaks. Let’s take a closer look at how to freeze in Pyrex, including how long food can last using this method and whether you can defrost food in the microwave.
Will Glass Pyrex Shatter in the Freezer?
Pyrex (on Amazon) can shatter in the freezer, but it usually only happens if there’s a sudden change in temperature. You can easily prevent this by letting the contents of your Pyrex cool down before you put it in the freezer.
Also, make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions before using the container to freeze food.
Can You Defrost Glass Pyrex in the Microwave?
You shouldn’t try defrosting Pyrex in the microwave since the glass can shatter. Instead, you should take the container out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost or let it stand on a dry kitchen towel.
Once the food defrosts completely, you can then put the Pyrex container in the microwave.
Even though Pyrex’s website states that you can microwave a frozen container, it’s best to take out the food and reheat it in another container. This is because glass can go through thermal shock if the temperatures change too quickly, causing it to explode.
Consider Your Microwave’s Power
If the temperature change isn’t too rapid, then your glass dish should be fine in the microwave. Putting the Pyrex container into the microwave on low-power mode is much safer than nuking it on high.
Even then, it’s still better if you microwave the food in something else that’s not going to explode.
Some microwaves use high power when defrosting. So they work on high power for some time and then cycle between off and on to defrost the food.
If your food looks a little cooked once a defrost cycle is completed, your microwave might not have an inverter that lowers the power. In this case, it’s better to be careful when putting glass in the microwave compared to using a microwave with a power inverter that can control low-powered settings.
How Long Does Frozen Food Last in a Glass Pyrex?
You can freeze different foods for different lengths of time. Here’s a quick guide to freezing different foods. Just make sure you choose the proper container size for these items.
When it comes to dairy products, some are suitable for freezing while others tend to separate or become grainy once they’re defrosted.
- You can store butter for 6 months. Just make sure you wrap it with freezer wrap (on Amazon) before putting it in a container.
- Cheese can also be stored for 6 months, and while it’ll be a little crumbly once you defrost it, it’ll still taste good. Just make sure to wrap ½-pound blocks of cheese in freezer wrap at one time.
- Cream cheese can be stored for 4 months.
- You can store both yogurt and whipping cream for 3 months. Just make sure you freeze them in small individual containers.
Poultry and Meat
If you buy meat in bulk, make sure you separate it into smaller portions before freezing it so that you can just cook what you need and reduce wastage. You can also freeze leftover cooked food in a Pyrex container and defrost it later.
You can store raw poultry for about 6 months, but the time periods for red meats differ:
- You can store beef for up to 12 months
- Lamb can be stored for up to 9 months
- Pork can last in the freezer for up to 6 months
- Liver will start to go bad after 2 months
Apart from dairy and meat, you can also freeze other foods for later use:
- Fruits, nuts, vegetables, and desiccated coconut can be stored for up to 12 months. You can either store them chopped or whole.
- You can store egg yolks out of the shell for 3 months and egg whites out of the shell for up to 12 months. For the former, just make sure to add ½ tsp sugar or ⅛ tsp salt for every 4 yolks.
- Cookies, cakes, and bread can last for 3-4 months. It’s better to freeze them in individual portions.
- Coffee beans or grounds can be stored in the freezer in a clear container to keep them fresh.
Which Foods Freeze Best?
Freezing food is a great way to stay stocked up and ready for any occasion. But some foods freeze better than others. These include:
- Raw or cooked pasta dishes and pasta sauce
- Soup (let it cool down before putting it in the freezer)
- Baked cookies or cookie dough (take it out of its wrapping and put it into a container)
- Baked stuffed vegetables
- Berries spread over a baking sheet
- Pancakes (wrapped in freezer wrap)
- Chopped herbs
Should You Freeze Food in Glass or Plastic?
There are many benefits of freezing foods in glass instead of plastic. For instance, glass doesn’t absorb odors from frozen food, so you don’t have to worry about it contaminating the next food item you place in it.
Glass is also safe and durable, so you can reuse the container multiple times without worrying about contamination. It’s also a good heat absorber, which means its structure won’t change, unlike plastic.
Plus, you can put hot food right into the glass container without worrying about it cracking or melting.