Shower glass is an especially tricky surface to clean. It can be very tedious to keep your shower glass looking spotless between the constant soap scum, hard water deposits, and calcium spots. Rain-X is known to repel water from car windshields and windows, but can it work on shower doors?
Use Rain-X on shower glass after cleaning and drying the surface. Spray the glass and spread the solution in a thin, even layer with a microfiber cloth. Allow it to dry and buff off the residue with a cloth to create an invisible barrier that repels water and reduces build-up on your shower glass.
Let’s look at how Rain-X works and whether it’s a good option for glass shower doors. We’ll also go through how to apply Rain-X and some important safety tips you should know before getting started.
What Is Rain-X?
Rain-X is a water-repellent coating that you can apply to glass surfaces, such as car windows, to create a barrier between the surface and water. The invisible barrier forms a layer of protection that repels water, prevents soap scum build-up, inhibits calcium deposits, and is resistant to mold and mildew.
A special blend of polymers fills in the microscopic pores on the surface of the glass. These polymers form an impenetrable barrier that repels water beads and prevents minerals from bonding to the glass surface and leaving behind unsightly spots or streaks.
Inhibiting water build-up also makes maintenance much easier, so you won’t need to scrub as hard or use as many cleaning supplies to clean your shower glass. Instead, you can wipe dirt and grime away with a cloth or squeegee.
Does Rain-X Work on Shower Glass?
Rain-X Original Glass Water Repellent (on Amazon) will work if your glass shower door is made from non-porous glass.
If you have any other type of window treatments around your shower door (e.g., vinyl curtains or plastic blinds), keep them away from the treatment area to avoid damage or discoloration.
Rain-X doesn’t prevent build-up entirely, and regular cleaning is still necessary. So, while it won’t make your shower glass self-cleaning, it can reduce the time and effort needed for maintenance.
When properly applied to a clean surface, Rain-X can last up to 3 months before needing a reapplication. If you want to get the most out of your Rain-X application, follow the instructions for application and maintenance.
How to Apply Rain-X to Your Shower Glass Door
Applying Rain-X is simple and straightforward — all you need is the product and a lint-free cloth.
If you’re ready to try Rain-X on your shower glass, use the following steps to apply it correctly:
- Using warm water and mild soap or cleaning solution, thoroughly clean both sides of your shower door until dirt and grime are removed. Get into all the crevices and corners to eliminate all residue. You want to remove any dirt, soap scum, or other residues before applying Rain-X.
- Dry the glass thoroughly with a lint-free towel or cloth.
- Spray on a coat of Rain-X and spread it evenly across the surface of your glass with a dry cloth. Coat the entire surface with a thin layer by overlapping each stroke and allow it to dry for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Apply a second coat and allow it to dry as directed. The second coat will ensure that you have even coverage in case you missed any areas with the first coat.
- To finish, buff your shower glass with a clean and dry cloth until the haze and streaks are gone and the glass is clear. Try not to leave any residue behind, as this can cause streaks in the future.
Correctly applying Rain-X is time-consuming and can take up to two hours, depending on the size of your shower glass. Take your time to ensure you get even coverage for the best results.
After you’ve applied it, maintain the Rain-X coating by regularly cleaning your shower glass. Wipe it down with a squeegee or microfiber cloth after each shower. Doing this will help prevent dirt and soap scum from building up.
Safety Tips to Keep in Mind
While Rain-X can make your shower glass maintenance faster, there are some safety tips you should keep in mind:
- Keep Rain-X away from vinyl, aluminum, and other non-glass surfaces in the bathroom. It can damage certain finishes or leave behind a residue that’s difficult to remove.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaning products or other materials after applying Rain-X, as this can damage the protective coating and reduce its effectiveness.
- Make sure you have adequate ventilation when applying Rain-X to your shower glass. The fumes are strong and can cause respiratory irritation. If inhaled, move to an area with fresh air and seek medical attention if you feel any lasting symptoms.
- Rain-X is flammable, so keep it away from flames and sparks and store it safely when not in use.
- Avoid contact with skin or eyes, as Rain-X is an irritant. Wear gloves and safety glasses when applying it to avoid contact.
- Rain-X is hazardous if swallowed, so keep it away from children or pets. If swallowed, immediately call the Poison Control Center or a doctor.
- Always test the product in an inconspicuous area before using it on the entire shower glass surface to determine if it’s compatible with your specific shower glass material. If you notice any staining or discoloration, discontinue use.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Rain-X Application
Once you’ve applied the Rain-X coating to your shower glass, it’s important to maintain it for maximum effectiveness. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your Rain-X application:
- Rinse the shower glass with clean water after each use: This will help remove any soap scum and keep your coating functioning effectively.
- Wipe dry after rinsing: Wipe your shower glass dry with a soft cloth or shower squeegee after each rinse, as this will help reduce water spots and keep the coating in place.
- Use a soft cloth when cleaning: It’s essential to use a soft cloth when cleaning your shower glass, as rough materials can scratch the coating and reduce its effectiveness.
- Reapply Rain-X every 3 months: The coating will eventually wear away with regular use and cleaning, so reapply the Rain-X every 3 months or so. If you notice streaks or spots on your shower glass, it’s time to reapply the product.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners: Abrasive cleaners like bleach can damage the Rain-X coating and reduce its effectiveness. Instead, use a mild glass cleaner, warm water, and soap to clean your shower glass.